Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Update on MMPR Pilot (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=6255)

Dizagaox2 01/06/15 12:18 PM

Update on MMPR Pilot

Okay, believe the below or don't, but I've been briefed on the project.

1. The project has Saban Brands approval. It was it seems pitched and filmed by their own LA film crew that makes all the random YouTube stuff. So maybe it's canon? In any case, it was filmed in LA in August.
2. It's a pilot / short film. If popular, the idea is to make more of them, to help flesh out the Power Rangers universe via YouTube and mixed media. Whole thing is modelled after Mortal Kombat's short films and the success Machinima has had with similar content.
3. Katee Sackhoff is indeed the lead actress, with another few big guests.
4. If you thought RPM was mature...

Major spoiler I'm allowed to share because it's the plot of the whole ruddy film:

Trini is "officially" killed off. Assassinated. The opening scene is her funeral. Katee Sackhoff is the new Kimberly, and has to lead the Power Rangers on the run from an evil organisation out to kill them.

I already asked my source if the short film has any links to Go-busters and they said they're not saying anything.

Citrus 01/06/15 12:29 PM

Re: Update on MMPR Pilot

Oh hell no. Fanfilm, sanctioned or not, they better not touch Trini.

I-I guess the one upside is a gritty throwaway web series is that it leaves room for the feature film to be more lighthearted.

Zabitan 01/06/15 12:29 PM

For me it's not so much wether it's real or not but rather just that this sounds like the same thing everyone else seems to make.

The first MMPR only all "Dark", "Edgy", and "Realistic".

I wouldn't care so much if it didn't seem like the same thing over and over again.

Dizagaox2 01/06/15 12:31 PM

Thuy and Trini aren't the same person. One is a character in a TV show. It it serves dramatic purpose, then that's what they're doing. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they recast the role for an opening scene of her warning Kimberly.

Anyway, bottom line is this is a fanfilm, just a high profile one with some big actors in it.

Titanium321 01/06/15 12:34 PM

By briefed you mean someone told you something but had absolutely zero evidence backing it, don't you?

Katee Sackhoff is a little out of the price range for any fanfilm, don't you think?

Dizagaox2 01/06/15 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titanium321 (Post 50750)
By briefed you mean someone told you something but had absolutely zero evidence backing it, don't you?

Katee Sackhoff is a little out of the price range for any fanfilm, don't you think?

Nope, I certainly did verify everything with photo evidence. Once details properly come out, I'll share the photos too. And I'm also holding back on a few tidbits.

So then its official? I'm not sure where you're going with this...

Citrus 01/06/15 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizagaox (Post 50751)
Nope, I certainly did verify everything with photo evidence. Once details properly come out, I'll share the photos too. And I'm also holding back on a few tidbits.

So then its official? I'm not sure where you're going with this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizagaox (Post 50749)
Thuy and Trini aren't the same person. One is a character in a TV show. It it serves dramatic purpose, then that's what they're doing. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they recast the role for an opening scene of her warning Kimberly.

Anyway, bottom line is this is a fanfilm, just a high profile one with some big actors in it.

Thanks Jack Thompson, I wasn't aware of that distinction.

You see, the thing that pisses myself off is that this piece of fiction needlessly borrows from that person's death, and only their death.

There's no fucking reason to kill Trini, and they're only doing so to appease some sick fan fantasy to have fantasy mirror reality.

You know how the Papercutz novel accidentally had Trini stuck by the RADBUG, and the author immediately apologized for their mistake? There's a bloody good reason for such a reaction.

Citrus 01/06/15 12:42 PM

I thought you said it was endorsed by Saban Brands?

Dizagaox2 01/06/15 12:43 PM

There's a difference between endorsed and being official. Endorsed just means it has their okay to go ahead, like those "vs" battles on YouTube or JDF's reality series showing behind the scenes on the show. They're all endorsed but not official.

Titanium321 01/06/15 12:44 PM

So what reason do we have to believe you're telling the truth or haven't been mislead?

That it doesn't make any sense and katee Sackhoff is a bigger star at the moment so this type of project just for a fan film doesn't make sense for her. Especially from a budgetary perspective. Especially with a real movie coming out. Especially with Saban Brands approval, that's really the killer for me. Saban Brands being okay with it.

Dizagaox2 01/06/15 12:48 PM

To be honest, you and I have better things to do than question the validity of what I'm saying. She's in the pilot film, it'll be uploaded at some point and you'll be like "oh, I guess Dizagaox was right". Until then, I have no problem you not believing me.

momotroninja 01/06/15 12:50 PM

Just because Saban Brands is endorsing or giving their support to a fan/independent project doesn't mean it's automatically canon.

Provided there's actual confirmation and not "Someone said this"

nightmere11 01/06/15 12:53 PM

So that's what this is all about then? Forgot I had this page bookmarked.

Quote:
Addy Schreiner - Stand in- for pink ranger in the new short film From Joseph Kahn- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
http://www.starnow.com/addyschreiner

MastaDan2 01/06/15 12:54 PM

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt on this sort of thing but you gotta understand at least why people would find something like that hard to believe, at least for something actually approved by Saban. The part about it being approved by Saban, and containing a death scene for an actress that has died IRL just doesn't sound like something they'd support. Personally, I'm not offended by it or anything. Although I certainly understand why people would take issue with it.

If we find out sometime in the future that you're right, some people owe you an apology. But if this never comes to fruition, it goes both ways.

Could it be the case that you think this to be true, but your source is not much of a reputable one, or perhaps they aren't who they say they are?

Titanium321 01/06/15 12:54 PM

I seem to remember another PR fanfilm that was making claims of endorsement from Saban Brands, talking big about getting big name actors involved, riddling the concept with DC movie darkness and saying that's what everyone wants, and just making grand claims overall that ultimately ended in a trailer for fanfilms.

I'm not saying there isn't a fanfilm being made here, just that some of the claims made like it may be made by Saban Brands youtube division or is a pilot starring katee sackhoff are a little extremely hard to swallow. That's the part that need validation, not that it's being made.

Dizagaox2 01/06/15 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MastaDan (Post 50759)
I like to give people the benefit of the doubt on this sort of thing but you gotta understand at least why people would find something like that hard to believe, at least for something actually approved by Saban. The part about it being approved by Saban, and containing a death scene for an actress that has died IRL just doesn't sound like something they'd support. Personally, I'm not offended by it or anything. Although I certainly understand why people would take issue with it.

If we find out sometime in the future that you're right, some people owe you an apology. But if this never comes to fruition, it goes both ways.

Could it be the case that you think this to be true, but your source is not much of a reputable one, or perhaps they aren't who they say they are?

Joseph Khan is one of the biggest music video directors of all time. This would make sense, as he's a name big enough to draw in Katee Sackhoff. This is clearly more than just a fanfilm. They have on-set photos with Katee on set. Source is geniune.

johnboy34 01/06/15 01:10 PM

Another corroborating source that Torque director Joseph Kahn is making an MMPR short. It's described as a "spec short".

http://www.galvanlighting.com/credits/

Dizagaox2 01/06/15 01:16 PM

Looks like these are images from the set:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvBpztQCAAEgHR2.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuvbTKKCcAEhujx.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuZ8UQACUAAYrqY.jpg

Joseph calls it the “greatest tampon commercial ever made” on Twitter.

It was a 7 day shoot.

And from what I gather, Joseph was hired to film it by another producer/production company (Saban Brands I imagine?). It's not a passion project or fanfilm.

johnboy34 01/06/15 01:17 PM

...The fuck is that supposed to mean?

Dizagaox2 01/06/15 01:19 PM

"Tampon commercial" is like a phrase to describe any film or TV show that shows women being sporty or kicking ass. He's on about Katee Sackhoff obviously.

XDestinyX 01/06/15 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizagaox (Post 50767)
Thuy and Trini aren't the same person.

This is an interesting subject. MMPRs1 was pretty unique in that it didn't go down the typical route's of completely fictional characters or cameos; the characters seemingly were based off the actors themselves to some unquantifiable degree.

I have read comment's that the MMPRs1 characters were sometimes twisted simply to fit a plot and also that the actors were told to just be themselves.

I personally don't think Trini should be recast; I believe one has to make a call on how much a character was defined by the actor playing them and in Trini's case, I believe Ms Trang defined Trini.

It is open to debate though, as to whether that means we should never see or hear of Trini again, whether we should hear of her but not see her again (outside of things like Dino Thunders Legacy of Power), or whether she should be killed on or off screen and how far into it the aftermath the show goes. The point of this last paragraph is meant to indicate that I'm not yet opposed or in favour of the earlier mentioned comment about the show officially killing the character.

johnboy34 01/06/15 01:24 PM

The problem isn't the simple concept of killing Trini. It's the fact that, in all likelihood, Trini wouldn't be the one getting killed if Thuy Trang was still with us. The death of the character is motivated by the death of the actor, even though the fact of the general recasting means there's no practical reason for such motivation. I find that to be in very poor taste.

Titanium321 01/06/15 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizagaox (Post 50765)
Looks like these are images from the set:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvBpztQCAAEgHR2.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuvbTKKCcAEhujx.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuZ8UQACUAAYrqY.jpg

Joseph calls it the “greatest tampon commercial ever made” on Twitter.

It was a 7 day shoot.

And from what I gather, Joseph was hired to film it by another producer/production company (Saban Brands I imagine?). It's not a passion project or fanfilm.

This is the issue, you're speculating Saban Brands hired him. That's what needs verification. Because Saban Brands wouldn't spend the money to make something like this, especially while making a new season of the show and having Lionsgate working on the movie.

You say they have onset photos with Katee Sackhoff, yet don't produce them when showing off your photos. If you can't reveal the evidence, why even start talking about it? That just makes you look non-credible in the first place or like you're stalling at the very least. It's not that I don't believe you, just that your actions raise questions.

I can however, totally buy him making a PR themed video. As a commercial or short fan film or music video, but not at the employ of Saban Brands.

johnboy34 01/06/15 01:27 PM

I'm torn. On one level, this skepticism is healthy, if only because the PR brand (Hell, even the Super Sentai brand as a whole) has never done something like this before. On another... who would put forth enough money to make this if not Saban? Your average fan couldn't afford it. An actual studio wouldn't dare do it without Saban's consent. If it was a Bat in the Sun-style short, or a College Humor skit, then why would it be labeled as a "spec" work on the crew's resumes? What could it be "speculative" of that wouldn't require Saban's involvement?

Titanium321 01/06/15 01:28 PM

I would imagine since he is a fan and a working director, he could probably pull the money together to make this. Possibly as an audtion to get the Lionsgate movie gig. That would make spec work make sense.

johnboy34 01/06/15 01:29 PM

True, but Diz's source said that he was hired for the job. Granted, the source could simply be wrong, but at that point we could question the existence of the film as a whole. Only time will tell, I suppose.

SnoopsWarner 01/06/15 01:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sadsmileyface Send a message via MSN to Sadsmileyface
His Tweets do make mention of the fact that he's "paying out of his own pocket" for overtime on it and that he's doing "shots in my garage".

archer9234 01/06/15 01:32 PM

really don't get the logic here. Kim is being played by another person. So what is the issue with just having Trini be alive like normally, and not go near the who dead stuff. What's the point?

Are they gonna also have Udonna do this, since Peta Rutter died too. Bad taste. Does this also mean that Aisha would get into the show, with the MMPR S1 cast. Is the team gonna be all screwed up? Kim is leading. That means Jason had to affected by her death. Tommy walked?

Citrus 01/06/15 01:34 PM

Exactly.

If this was some sort of meta look at the PRU--Aisha was upset at Zordon for forgetting her name, Billy was angry at Alpha for discrimination, etc etc then I could at least understand what they were going for.

Instead, they single out Trini because of Thuy's death, which there's no good reason to do when recasting. I mean, was Ernie killed while building that bridge in the Amazon?

sonicblueranger 01/06/15 01:36 PM

Every single thing that comes out makes this seem like a horrible piece of shit and I keep getting more and more worried it's real.

Because we all want the bright colorful world of spandex teen's fighting Japanese footage turned into Grimdark bullshit. yay. God forbid something be fun.

Citrus 01/06/15 01:37 PM

Think of it this way. If this work causes a paradigm shift in terms of how the fandom views 'dark and gritty' vs. 'lighthearted and fun', it will have at least served some good.

TMZhero 01/06/15 01:38 PM

'm glad these 'on set' photo's show is nothing at all. It shows someone, who may be the director named staring at a camera, another picture of another unrelated place, then a third picture that very oddly has the person taking pictures of weapons.

Thats the thing. When you post pictoral proof, you lead with actually showing the actress in question, I don't know, filming with the director. or the director shooting at a funeral. or the actress at a funeral. Why the hell would someone have three pictures, one of which conveniently showing weapons of crap quality?

Oh, and the third image of different photo quality than the others... but damn is it trying to look similar by making everything cast in shadow from someone's garage or basement.

This is totes real y'all. I'm calling it now. This has proven it to me and no in any way completely and utterly dis-proven earlier statements made. This is going to be great.

Also, more fan films need to straight up kill off Trini. Come on, the actress passed away and it'd honor her death. I can't wait for the MMPR movie to have the new Tommy just walk up to jason and be all

Tommy: " Yo, did you hear Trini died?"
Jason: " Woah man, that is horrible..."
Tommy: I know right? Anyays, time to be ranger and shit!"
Jason:... No seriously. This horrible man. I can't believe you just told me like this... I have a test in an hour, I... i'm not going to be able to concentrate... even worse, how are we going to tell the others? Does Zordon know? Does her family know? Tommy... this ... this changes everything! I'm going to need to go see a counselor or something..."
Tommy: "I just tweeted it to everyone! Yeeeeaaahhh"
Jason: "... I regret this friendship..."

Dizagaox2 01/06/15 01:40 PM

Quoting for future reference. Posts like this are incredible.

(Heads up, the images above aren't proof of anything, they are from the director's own Twitter feed - http://twitter.com/JosephKahn - who is arguably the most successful music video director on the planet, before you embarrass yourself further insinuating he's a nobody.)

It was meant to come out last month. I think it'll be out soon, otherwise the brand's reps wouldn't be teasing it.

I'm speculating it'll be hosted on something like IGN or Machinima.

BTS of the Interrogation of the Pink Ranger:

[url]http://i.imgur.com/IeQCYY5.jpg

TMZhero 01/06/15 01:43 PM

I wasn't insinuating anything of the sort, I was just saying how what has been posted hasn't really proven much is all.

Also, is this supposed to be a sequel to 'The Ranger' in any way?

momotroninja 01/06/15 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizagaox (Post 50780)
Quoting for future reference. Posts like this are incredible.

(Heads up, the images above aren't proof of anything, they are from the director's own Twitter feed - http://twitter.com/JosephKahn - who is arguably the most successful music video director on the planet, before you embarrass yourself further insinuating he's a nobody.)

It was meant to come out last month. I think it'll be out soon, otherwise the brand's reps wouldn't be teasing it.

I'm speculating it'll be hosted on something like IGN or Machinima.

BTS of the Interrogation of the Pink Ranger:

[url]http://i.imgur.com/IeQCYY5.jpg

So a nobody, then. Yes there were some music video directors who moved on to bigger things, but until then, he's a nobody in the movie industry.

Dizagaox2 01/06/15 01:45 PM

What a dickhead thing to say. I mean, you're actually disrespecting somebody that's doing something rather significant with Power Rangers.

And it's not a movie, so your point is moot.

Okay I was going to share more BTS stuff but I honestly can't be fucked. My last post on this pilot malarkey until it's released. Then I'll post BTS stuff and more.

MastaDan2 01/06/15 01:47 PM

What bugs me most is we don't even have a release date, or general idea of when it could be released. Which means we won't know for a while for sure if he's telling the truth or not.

Unless some other information confirming or debunking what he's saying comes to fruition before the release date (if it's legit) is confirmed.

Multiple Man 01/06/15 01:49 PM

Regardless of the story's validity, Joseph Kahn is certainly not a nobody.

He's directed the likes of Josh Hutcherson ("The Hunger Games") in his film "Detention." He's directed Adam Scott ("Parks and Recreation") in his film "Torque." He's worked consistently in the world of commercials and music videos for years between feature gigs, as many well-known directors do.

He's not Joss Whedon, but if that's anyone's standard for not being a nobody then I guess it makes sense one would think that.

SnoopsWarner 01/06/15 01:52 PM

Well if anybody needs more conclusive proof, here you go. This should put all doubt to rest.

http://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/2...la-filming.jpg

http://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/2...-filming-1.jpg

http://static2.demotix.com/sites/def...g-_1048963.jpg

http://www.taken3movie.com/wp-conten...hen-taken3.jpg

I hope you're all satisfied now.

Zarius 01/06/15 01:53 PM

Tough one to call here, about the only thing I see distinctly PR-ish is what appears to be blade blasters on the table, and even that is my own speculative interpretation.

Now, it's entirely possible we're not seeing photos of the suits in action because it would generate advance buzz that noone's ready to share as of yet, it would make more sense for photos of that liking to emerge in February just as Dino Charge premieres.

But the deal with Trini? I don't know, if Katie is playing Kimberly, you could easily have kept Trini alive via a similar recast, she does'nt have to be dead to motivate a dark story that seems very ham-fistingly meta.