View Single Post
Old 01/21/11, 10:41 PM   #1
PRangerX
Administrator

Default Why did Dragon Knight fail?

When word of Dragon Knight leaked a lot of people had high hopes for it. But Dragon Knight failed to get the toy sales or ratings it needed to be successful. The final two episodes didn't even air on US TV, airing on the internet as well. And no signs of Dragon Knight appear on the air waves or via DVD. Love it or hate it, the show was a flop commercially. Why was this?

I think the fact it was on broadcast tv hurt it. Since being on cable tv is the best place for Kidvid now. We saw how much an afterthought RPM and MMPR remastered we're on ABC Kids. Dragon Knight also didn't have a lot of promotion outside of its block. It wasn't a show that CW Kids tried to build around.

The storyline may have been over the heads of the target audience. Not that I am saying the kids audience is stupid. Just that Dragon Knight seemed more adult then say Power Rangers. But as a saturday morning show it didn't appeal to teens and adults. Particularly for the mainstream who would have thought it was just Power Rangers. The serial nature ( while it was something I really liked) may have hurt the show as well. As it made it less accessible to new viewers as the show went on.

The way the toys we're released too late. Somehow the synergy with that just wasn't there. The toys should have been released before the show even started. Not during the series. I also didn't see any promotion for those as well.

Really the only real promotion the show got was online, before it debuted. Which is nice, but that only lets you reach a small audience.

And of course Kamen Rider hasn't been anywhere near established a franchise in North America as Power Rangers has been.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote