View Single Post
Old 10/27/14, 11:31 AM   #1
blacklion400
Shadow Ranger

Default Re-watching Mighty Morphin - Forgot how Good Season 3 was

So, having recently purchased the Shout! MMPR boxset, I'm nearly at the end of Season 3 and I have to say it's impressed me a lot more than I remember! Personally I think this is the Season where the show really found it's groove and felt assured at what it was doing. Season 1 is good but is mostly just filler, and feels very much like 'the first'. With Season 2, well the word 'mess' springs to mind. Season 3 is where it seems to come together pretty well.

Some of the things I enjoy;

The fact that the season is more story driven, mostly helped by the various multi-parters.

Kimberly's departure - the run of episodes from A Ranger Catastrophe to A Different Shade of Pink might be the best of MMPR. Actually Kimberly as a whole is pretty awesome this season, Amy Jo really grew into a good actress while on the show.

The humour is on top form as well, from Bulk and Skull and especially the villains. I know most people prefer Lord Zedd before Rita showed up, but I kinda like their relationship, and when Rito shows up they all feel like a big, dysfunctional family. The fact the eventually do destroy the rangers' powers still makes them seem dangerous (even if they get help from Vile).

There are still a few issues however;

Neither Rocky, Adam or Aisha get the focus they deserve when compared to Tommy, Billy, Kim or even Kat. I know Aisha gets the Stop the Hate Master two-parter, but to me it just felt like an extended 'obligatory character episode' which Rocky and Adam got with 'Wizard for a Day' and 'Passing the Lantern'.

The Alien ranger saga is definitely the weak link. While I enjoy the dire situation the rangers get themselves in, the alien ranger episodes do feel like a step down (although the ending is brilliant). Also watching some of the kid rangers acting is painful. Kat's actress especially

But overall, a very good season, and one I think deserves more love!

Anyway, just felt like sharing my thoughts with you. Now I need to purchase Season 4-7.