Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > The Time Warp > Power Rangers Modern Archives

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 01/10/11, 08:38 AM   #1
Orange Ranger
Ranger In Training

Default Why Didn't They Include MMPR Music in "Once A Ranger"?

I don't know if they didn't have the rights to the original power ranger music when they aired Once a Ranger, but why wasn't it included when Adam was fighting? I also found it a bit confusing that they could have him back but not the music or morphing sequence with it.
Orange Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/11, 08:39 AM   #2
PRangerX
Administrator

Saban smartly held onto the music rights when he sold his company to Disney. Which meant Saban would be subject to royalties. Disney had every right to use MMPR music during OO. But they would have had to pay royalties to Saban to do it. I believe Saban got royalties for music in the reruns too. Which we're already off the air by that time. Plus using the music in a first run episode costs more. This problem doesn't exist now. Since Saban Brands now own Power Rangers. So the music rights are back with the main franchise.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/11, 08:41 AM   #3
Terry
Shadow Ranger

Didn't they use the MMPR music in Dino Thunder during Legacy of Power? Disney owned PR at this time too?
Old 01/10/11, 08:42 AM   #4
PRangerX
Administrator

I don't remember them doing so. I'd have to rewatch that episode.
Old 03/21/11, 03:16 AM   #5
MMPRGreen
Comic Relief

Default Re: Why Didn't They Include MMPR Music in "Once A Ranger"?

I am pretty sure they did use some of the music and I remember reading elsewhere they played the royalties, I hope saban goes back and edits in the original music and logo for his morph.
MMPRGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/11, 05:28 PM   #6
PRangerX
Administrator

They didn't use the old MMPR theme when Adam morphed. All the other themes we're useable because they we're from Disney seasons. Thats not a problem now since Saban owns the franchise. And persumably is still allowed to use the music after he sold it to that company. The Samurai theme being close to MMPR shows that.

I would love for them to edit the MMPR theme into Adam's morph. They probably won't do that. But you never know.
Old 12/01/11, 12:12 PM   #7
MattEmily
Administrator

PRanger is correct however they did end up using the original music that played during those scenes in Tommy's video diary in "Legacy of Power." Perhaps the reason they could do that is because it was a different situation considering they were just part of old clips. I don't know if Saban would still get royalties in that situation but Disney definitely would have needed to pay royalties if they ended up using the MMPR theme for Adam's morph which is why they didn't use the music for it. It's also the same reason why you don't hear the Saban Dragon Dagger music in "Fighting Spirit."
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/11, 01:02 PM   #8
PRangerX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattEmily View Post
PRanger is correct however they did end up using the original music that played during those scenes in Tommy's video diary in "Legacy of Power." Perhaps the reason they could do that is because it was a different situation considering they were just part of old clips. I don't know if Saban would still get royalties in that situation but Disney definitely would have needed to pay royalties if they ended up using the MMPR theme for Adam's morph which is why they didn't use the music for it. It's also the same reason why you don't hear the Saban Dragon Dagger music in "Fighting Spirit."
Yeah, at the time it came out that using it in old footage wasn't as costly as trying to use it in new scenes.
Old 08/16/12, 11:44 PM   #9
crimsonfireranger
Ranger In Training

saban hold the rights to mighty morphin power rangers including the theme that is also why they didn't show adams original morph
crimsonfireranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/12, 11:36 AM   #10
MattEmily
Administrator

That has nothing to do with the morph.
Disney would have been able to use the morph sequence if they wanted to.
They used all of the Saban morph sequences in "Forever Red" which was under Disney's ownership.
They just wanted to update the sequence just like they did with Bridge because he was the Red S.P.D. Ranger.

Only Saban music was stuff they couldn't use. Disney would have been able to use anything else they wanted no matter what.

Anything else in MMPR-Time Force belonged to Power Rangers itself regardlesss of who owned it at the time of creating it and filming it. Suits. Props. Monsters. Villains. Names of Rangers, civilain names, prop names, Zord sequences, Morph sequences, Weapon materialization sequences, Battlizer sequences, etc. so Disney would have been able to use it whether Saban wanted them to or not because it wasn't their business anymore and it wouldn't have been up to them either anyway because Saban Capital Group didn't own that content, Power Rangers itself owned it.

Only Saban Records owned the musical rights from MMPR-Time Force so that would have been the only issue, absolutely nothing else.

At the time Disney owned Power Rangers, they owned EVERY season including Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
The deal that sold Power Rangers to them included EVERYTHING to do with the series except for the music.

We just don't know what the deal included once Disney sold the series back to Saban. We know they'd be able to do any of the sequences from there such as Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder, S.P.D, Mystic Force, Overdrive, Jungle Fury and RPM morph sequences. We know they'd be able to use the sequences for Shane, Conner, Red S.P.D, Nick and Mack's Battlizers because that would be content that is owned by Power Rangers itself, not by Disney.
The only question is whether Disney sold the Disney-made themes to him. It would make sense because they would have nothing to do with them yet Saban had kept all of his music to himself but then again he did a lot more things other than MMPR-Time Force music but then again we just don't know with the deal that sold the series back to Saban.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply