Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 10/22/14, 05:27 PM   #1
JNTA123450
Putty Patroller

Default In Space vs Time Force

I'm five days late for this but better late than never. Right? So, yeah, the two "awesome" seasons of the Saban Era. Both of them have huge fanbases but they've also gained some haters recently. Okay, so for me this one is a no brainer, In Space is my favorite of ALL TIME, so you know where my vote's going. But I guess I should go into detail.

So easy stuff first.

In Space has a better theme song, it's epic. The themes from LG-WF are just so generic and blah. Not to mention Time Force's theme and opening sequence LIES to us.

Time Force has better costumes, I prefer a bit more individuality and I like the colored visors. The Space suits well, I like simplicity, and I even given like the colored squares, but variety is also important.

Neither of these seasons are strong contenders in the Zords department. I'm gonna give Space this one though because I can tell them apart. The Q-rex(if I'm remembering the name correctly) is not enough for Time Force to win.

Now onto the important stuff.

In terms of plot and storylines, Space wins. It's really unfair but yeah Space was the end of the Zordon Era and what a way to go out. Not to mention, all you need is the Psycho Rangers arch and I'm sold. Time Force had awesome storylines but for some all I can think of is...Movie Madness.

Andros vs Wes. They're almost tied but Andros wins since he's is a bit more relatable and complex. Wes is fun and endearing though.
Ashley vs Katie. They're tied. I can't choose, two of my top five Yellow Rangers. Ashley gets points for twisting archetypes and Katie gets points for uniqueness.

TJ vs Lucas. TJ wins, he's my favorite Blue Ranger ever and Lucas well, if you like him that's fine but.....let's move on.

Cassie vs Jen. They're my top two Pink Rangers but Jen most win, badassery beats all.

Carlos vs Trip. Trip wins, don't get me wrong. In Space Carlos is way better than Turbo Carlos but Trip just awesome, in his own special way.

Zhane vs Eric. OMG, two Sixth Rangers with actually defined. They'd be tied if Eric wasn't given so much more to work with than Zhane. Eric wins.

The villains. Hey what do you know, two seasons where villains turn good. Space wins this department because I wanted Ransik to be Magneto but he's really just a Magneto wannabe. Plus, with Astronema, Ecliptor, Darkonda AND the Psycho Rangers, how can Space not win. Space also has better foot soldiers btw.

The allies. Who cares, neither really have much in the way of extended casts do they?

So yeah, I pick Space. You know if these were two seasons I didn't like, I'd have a lot to say. That's bad.
JNTA123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/14, 12:34 PM   #2
PRangerX
Administrator

Default Re: In Space vs Time Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNTA1234 View Post
I'm five days late for this but better late than never. Right? So, yeah, the two "awesome" seasons of the Saban Era. Both of them have huge fanbases but they've also gained some haters recently. Okay, so for me this one is a no brainer, In Space is my favorite of ALL TIME, so you know where my vote's going. But I guess I should go into detail.

So easy stuff first.

In Space has a better theme song, it's epic. The themes from LG-WF are just so generic and blah. Not to mention Time Force's theme and opening sequence LIES to us.

Time Force has better costumes, I prefer a bit more individuality and I like the colored visors. The Space suits well, I like simplicity, and I even given like the colored squares, but variety is also important.

Neither of these seasons are strong contenders in the Zords department. I'm gonna give Space this one though because I can tell them apart. The Q-rex(if I'm remembering the name correctly) is not enough for Time Force to win.

Now onto the important stuff.

In terms of plot and storylines, Space wins. It's really unfair but yeah Space was the end of the Zordon Era and what a way to go out. Not to mention, all you need is the Psycho Rangers arch and I'm sold. Time Force had awesome storylines but for some all I can think of is...Movie Madness.

Andros vs Wes. They're almost tied but Andros wins since he's is a bit more relatable and complex. Wes is fun and endearing though.
Ashley vs Katie. They're tied. I can't choose, two of my top five Yellow Rangers. Ashley gets points for twisting archetypes and Katie gets points for uniqueness.

TJ vs Lucas. TJ wins, he's my favorite Blue Ranger ever and Lucas well, if you like him that's fine but.....let's move on.

Cassie vs Jen. They're my top two Pink Rangers but Jen most win, badassery beats all.

Carlos vs Trip. Trip wins, don't get me wrong. In Space Carlos is way better than Turbo Carlos but Trip just awesome, in his own special way.

Zhane vs Eric. OMG, two Sixth Rangers with actually defined. They'd be tied if Eric wasn't given so much more to work with than Zhane. Eric wins.

The villains. Hey what do you know, two seasons where villains turn good. Space wins this department because I wanted Ransik to be Magneto but he's really just a Magneto wannabe. Plus, with Astronema, Ecliptor, Darkonda AND the Psycho Rangers, how can Space not win. Space also has better foot soldiers btw.

The allies. Who cares, neither really have much in the way of extended casts do they?

So yeah, I pick Space. You know if these were two seasons I didn't like, I'd have a lot to say. That's bad.
Hard for me to judge since they are two of my favorites. I guess I will go with Space since it concluded the Zordon era and was made at a time when they didnt just stick with the sentai verbatium.

Space had the better storyline of the two. Since Time Force losts its way a bit during the second half. I do love the Destiny Arch though.

I would go with Wes over Andros ( close second), Jen over Cassie , Trip over Carlos, Ashley over Katie, TJ over Lucas, and Eric over Zhane. Id give the TF cast the edge with acting.

The Space villians have the edge for me. Astronoma is my favorite villian ever. I really cared about Karone by the end of the season. Plus we had all the big bads up until that point in C2D. Space diffinitly gets the edge with the better finalie.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/14, 02:08 PM   #3
Raiden
Shadow Ranger

Space.

Time force is the must unwatchable of all the Power Ranger series to me. It gets too many free passes for its flaws where as other seasons dont get the same treatment.
Old 11/10/14, 02:10 PM   #4
MastaDan2
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Space.

Time force is the must unwatchable of all the Power Ranger series to me. It gets too many free passes for its flaws where as other seasons dont get the same treatment.
What are it's flaws? I think it gets more passes for it's flaws because it has less flaws than many other seasons. I don't think any PR season is perfect, but specifically what flaws are you referring to?

Honestly the only major one I can think of that aren't inherent flaws that virtually every PR season has, is that certain characters were underutilized. And I guess that happens with every PR season to some degree but it seemed even worse with Lucas and Trip. Trip they could've done a whole lot more with particularly.

But the main story is so engaging for me personally it never bothered me.

Some bring up that they don't use time travel enough in the series and go in and out of different time periods. I think what we got was better than that. I wouldn't want anything not set in present day honestly. I think the fact they came from the future, use futuristic technology, communicate with people from the future, had an episode where they actually did go to the past, and end up going back to the future is enough to consider it a time travel season.
MastaDan is offline Report Post
MastaDan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/14, 02:11 PM   #5
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo

Copon's acting.
Deborah's acting.
Severe lack of Gluto.
The tone of the series shifting wildly between complete drama to complete comedy.
Nadira suddenly having a heart at the end when she'd never demonstrated anything other than selfish and bratty behavior before that point.
"Beware the Knight". Seriously, that thing just made no sense.
PrimoPiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/14, 02:12 PM   #6
superfanmj94
Shadow Ranger

I definitely don't think it's the most unwatchable, actually I think it would be for me the easiest to watch episodes from again. It has flaws, as all seasons do but I just find the story to be too good and some of the characters are just fantastic. I don't think there is another villain I would take over Ransik and I also find Wes, Jen and Eric to be some of the best rangers in the the history of Power Rangers.
Old 11/10/14, 02:14 PM   #7
Raiden
Shadow Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaDan View Post
What are it's flaws? I think it gets more passes for it's flaws because it has less flaws than many other seasons. I don't think any PR season is perfect, but specifically what flaws are you referring to?

Honestly the only major one I can think of that aren't inherent flaws that virtually every PR season has, is that certain characters were underutilized. And I guess that happens with every PR season to some degree but it seemed even worse with Lucas and Trip. Trip they could've done a whole lot more with particularly.

But the main story is so engaging for me personally it never bothered me.

Some bring up that they don't use time travel enough in the series and go in and out of different time periods. I think what we got was better than that. I wouldn't want anything not set in present day honestly. I think the fact they came from the future, use futuristic technology, communicate with people from the future, had an episode where they actually did go to the past, and end up going back to the future is enough to consider it a time travel season.
Well i got in to PR because i loved the awesome ranger suits, fighting to rock music then jumping in giant roaring mechanical beasts to more rock music.

But with time force the music is just so bland, the fight sequences suffer as a result of this. The Megazord i think is one of the most boring visual designs of them all ( the fact it changed modes into something equally not impressive doesnt help). Alex, Wes, Jen, Lucas and Eric all came across as douches. Trip is on the fence, he would always laugh at other peoples expenses when given the chance. I don know if i like Katie, or if i just dont find her to be an ass like the others. So at this point i have no investment in either the action or the characters.

We went from giant world invading fleets, demons coming to re-take the world... to Ransik a half mutant guy with a grudge. I just didnt feel any threat from him at all. It was nice when he would go to battle... maybe 4 times was it? But he always had to run away. Footsoldiers were ok i cant fault them. I cant think of any monsters of the day that stood out off the top of my head other than ones that just happened to be in episodes where events happened (brick neck comes to mind).

Nadira. Oh god. This is one of the " free passes ". She has got to be the most obnoxious, worst villain in PR. But she barely gets mentioned at all. Like, nearly never ever. I feel this is because that people like the show so much they dont want to mention her because its something youd like to pretend didnt happen.

These are just the basics of the show to me. The action, sound, and characters ( and gadgets. i am a full grown man but the lack of anything eye candy for the most part sucks. Hour and minute hand swords? pistols? that 1 rifle thing? time jet?). The story, some of the elements i agree are ok for a Power Rangers show. But you need to sit through all the bland and mundane to get to a scene with a Ransik flashback. Or a glimpse of a Frax heel turn.

And again with Free passes id like to point at Turbo, and Wild Force (there is more of course but im trying to be concise). They presented some very serious real life issues. But because they are presented in a more light hearted fashion due to the series aestetics it for some reason made all of the bullying that happened in Turbo not important, the time when the Turbo megazord stopped the dude from killing himself in the car. The fact divatox was trying to blow up arenas of people with hidden bombs. Master Org being so jaded by rejection he sacrifices himself that he goes on an actual killing spree of his friends and then plan to rule the world.

But again, its my taste, my vote and my reasons. Some of my points might not be valid to some people. But i just didnt want to make a post and leave it ambiguous.
Old 11/10/14, 02:15 PM   #8
superfanmj94
Shadow Ranger

The acting in Power Rangers has never been something that bothered me so even with some bad acting it doesn't take away from the show for me. I would have liked more Gluto and maybe less of Nadira, who could have been handled better. But, I do think that her relationship with Ransik works really well but that's because if Ransik mostly.

Also, I personally love "Beware the Knight", I just find it interesting and I love the atmosphere and the battlizer, but that's just me.
Old 11/10/14, 02:20 PM   #9
MastaDan2
Putty Patroller

I don't have an issue with their acting.I thought they were not bad in terms of Power Rangers actors.

And the rest of your points, aren't they to be said for any Power Rangers season? In Space, RPM, Lightspeed to an extent are more serious seasons of Power Rangers but they stlll had goofy funny bits that felt somewhat out of place at times.

I don't remember Beware the Knight specifically, so I won't comment on that.

I agree with you on Gluto. He was underused. But again, wouldn't be the first time and it's been happening since the beginning of the show. Scorpina for instance.

And to me Nadira turning good or more sympathetic didn't seem any more sudden than any of the other villains who turned good. This is kind of typical for Power Rangers, and it doesn't really bother me either much unless there's just not a good reason for it. Look at Summer from RPM in Ranger Yellow. It's one of my favorite episodes, but the character didn't flow properly, and I think the Onyx Tavern made some great points about her even though it's one of my top seasons. But she at least had a reason, to become less spoiled and bratty even if it didn't flow properly and seemed like a different character entirely.

I came here for the most part. If a performance is exceptionally good it does make the show better to me, but at the same time it's not a big factor in my overall ranking of seasons. If someone is terrible but I like the overall plot or story, it's still a good season in my eyes. The only performance I had an actual issue with (although there have been others I thought were bad) was Vypra and judging from one of her comments in the bonus features, she even acknowledges it was bad.

To each their own, but I think Medina was worse than Copon or anyone else in Time Force.

I know the defense is always that he lived in the jungle all his life and all that. But to me his performance doesn't portray even that well.

I didn't even think he was that great as Deker, I think that character was the best thing about Samurai but not because of his performance. It was better than Cole but it felt overacted to me, like someone almost doing a parody.
MastaDan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/14, 02:21 PM   #10
ultrakill
Shadow Ranger

Before watching Time Force this year, I would have said In Space. After watching Time Force, I'd definitely have to go with that.

As an individual season, Time Force had a story from beginning to end that it had to follow. Yes, it had its fillers, but those didn't detract from the season. The characters are all likeable and the on screen romance between Eric/Jen kept the wheel turning. It fulfilled the drama while not forgetting the action.

In Space will always have a special place in my heart. The season was a culmination of the previous 5. You almost had to watch everything prior in order to fully appreciate the season. I have to rewatch it again, though to see how it stood on its own.

But right now, I have to go with Time Force.
Post New ThreadReply