Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 03/28/17, 03:41 PM   #11
No Green Spandex
Power Ranger

Default Re: The show needs to be more serious

Why so serious!!!

Sorry couldn't resist.
No Green Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/17, 03:16 AM   #12
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Senshi View Post
I think Plwer Ranger s is fine just the way it is. It has never been a super serious show.
true but it has been serious at times.
Here are some moments that I would classify as being serious.

Zeo = Gasket brainwashing Tommy and Tommy aiming his Pistol at an unmorphed Kat.

Space = Darkonda usually looking out for only himself and usually scheming behind Astronema's back.
Cyborg Astronema scheming behind Dark Specter's back.
Dark Specter trying to destroy Zordon by draining him of his energy.
Zordon sacrificing himself.

Galaxy = Kendrix sacrificing herself.
Karone risking her life to get the Pink Saber back.
Leo firing his Battlizer Finisher at Trakeena at deadly close range.
Deviot.

Lightspeed = Queen Bansheera.
The episode in which time repeats.
Carter firing a weapon at a demon at deadly close range.

Time Force = the whole thing with Ransik and Frax.
Eric's story was also a serious one.

Wild Force = Viktor becoming a monster; the new Master Org out of pure jealousy and killing Cole's Parents because of his jealousy and seeking to kill him as well.
Zen-Aku.

Dino Thunder = Mesogog and the first evil White Ranger.
SPD = Cruger's story.
Mystic Force = The ancient story that involves Daggeron, Leanbow, Niella, Calindor and of course as we found out later Phineas.
The Ten Terrors.

RPM = pretty much everything was serious about it when they weren't poking fun at itself.

Samurai = Serrator.
Megaforce = Vrak.
Dino Charge = Zenowing when he was Doomwing.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/17, 07:52 AM   #13
Gold Ranger In Danger
Ranger In Training

Notice how you didn't have much to say about the Neo Saban seasons lol
Gold Ranger In Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/17, 07:54 AM   #14
Time For Time Force
Shadow Ranger

Time Force also had the whole arch with Wes and his dad..Which got very serious during the Destiny Eps. That hospital scene is about as realistic as PR gets.
Old 03/29/17, 07:55 AM   #15
Quasar Saber
Comic Relief

Ironically there is MMPR has a moment like that when Kim goes to the hospital in season 3.
Quasar Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/17, 08:37 PM   #16
Ninja Storm Fan
Power Ranger

No we need Ninja Storm back..Which had the right mix of drama and comedy.
Ninja Storm Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/17, 08:45 PM   #17
Putty On The Brain
Comic Relief

Ninja Storm was a breath of fresh air after some of the stale seasons we got at the end of Saban Entertainment/MMPR Productions era. But I don't agree with Ninja Storm being the only good season that you said elsewhere.
Putty On The Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/17, 11:03 PM   #18
DanKnight1221
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Hard View Post
I think a lot of people who haven't watched the show since the early days like me, might come back if they made it more serious. The movie did it for me.
I think you are right about that. The real issue there is, that bringing back fans of the early days isn't what the show is really trying to do. Yeah, they do things for the old fans and do appreciate them. But at the end of the day Power Rangers is a kids show, aimed for young kids, currently airing on a kids network, designed to sell toys and get commercial spots from products aimed at kids.

Don't get me wrong, I am probably older than a lot of this board so I don't deny the show also has it's appeal to adults. But the show has succeeded for so long because it manages to constantly bring in new kids, kids who weren't even alive when the show started. That is what Nickelodeon wants, that is what the toy company wants, and that is what the advertisers want.

Even if they did a season that doubled the ratings if it only did that because they managed to drag in 50% more 20 year olds and above Nickelodeon would still not look at it as a huge victory because that is now who they are aiming to bring in.

When Power Rangers was at it's height Fox Kids aired a TV series called Young Hercules that I loved, and it was the second highest rated show that year on the Fox Kids lineup besides Power Rangers. But they cancelled it after one season? Why? Because almost all of their viewers were either teenagers or 20 something girls, along with some older fans who watched the Hercules series it was a spin-off of. Those people didn't buy breakfast cerial based on cartoons, they didn't buy kids toys, and they didn't watch the kids movies they aired commercials for. So despite their being a lot of people watching it, it was not the ones they needed to make money so it was still seen as a failure.

Not trying to be a naysayer, but while I think most long time fans would like it more if it got more serious and with a slightly more adult feel, when you are on a network that's entire thing is being aimed for kids, that isn't something that is considered important to anyone making the final call.
DanKnight1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/17, 11:24 PM   #19
Blue Ranger Gone Bad
Ranger In Training

The show is never going to become overly serious or geared towards adults. Save for a few easter eggs in the anniversary seasons for fans.
Blue Ranger Gone Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/17, 09:25 AM   #20
Shadowhawk
Comic Relief

They have gone too far in the silly campy direction. Which only seems to have worked for MMPR. And even that was more serious at times than recent seasons.
Shadowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply