Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 05/30/17, 07:36 PM   #11
Cestro
Putty Patroller

Default Each Ranger with a Megazord

I suppose this belongs more in the merchandising thread because, ultimately, many people will bring this back to the toy aspect of the discussion. However, I want to talk about it from a narrative standpoint.

So the evolution of zords/mech in Sentai/Rangers has been pretty much the following:

One Megazord for all -> individual zords with multiple pilots -> multiple zords with single pilots -> multiple zords with single pilots and auxiliary zords with no pilots.

We've come to a point where, in addition to all rangers having a single zord, there are dozens of other zords with no pilots that either belong to the team as a whole or the red ranger. In fact, several seasons have the red ranger with two or more personal zords. Even 6th rangers get their own megazord now with several other zords.

The question I have is: when will it be that all rangers get their own Megazords?

I think the idea of auxiliary zords were a fine concept during Wild Force and Dino Thunder. In both cases each ranger basically had a primary zord and then a secondary zord to call upon or control. With a few exceptions (i.e. Falcon Wild Zord and Mezodon Rover). However, since then, things have gotten out of hand. I hate to say that there are too many zords, but yeah there are too many auxiliary zords. I'd say the problem crept up around Shinkenger/Samurai and became a major problem with Goseiger/Mega Force since then. Now I like the idea in Kyuranger that every ranger gets one zord, although that may change quickly given the number of zords were are getting and the idea that we are unlikely to have 20+ rangers (we'll see). But there is still the other elephant in the room: the red ranger gets all the big, cool, and/or single Megazords.

In Kyuranger, all the rangers up until violet had a single zord that was considerably smaller than the Red Rangers, and no formation could be made with out Red's. In ToQger, ToQ1 gets his primary Ressha, the control over the Diesel Oh and the Hyper Ressha. Zyuohger, red gets the Eagle, Gorilla, and While zords along with 3 different forms, yet the other rangers only get to call on the aux zords. There are more examples, but I think you get my point.

So why haven't we reached the logical evolution; giving each ranger their own Megazord?

Why not have a season where each ranger starts off with their own Megazord? Either a single combination or five individual zords that form into a Megazord. Why give the red rangers all the Megazords? How about give them each their own Megazord to control? Do you see where I'm going with this? You can give each ranger 1-5 zords without out making them seem inferior to the red or 6th rangers.

It's just an idea, but should't we have gotten here by now rather that still be stuck in a time where only the "cool" rangers are given extra zords. Wasn't there a time where all the rangers were to be treated equal as opposed to being inferior to the red ranger?
Cestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/17, 07:36 PM   #12
Cestro
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Each Ranger with a Megazord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoMystechRangger View Post
Never, because Red Ranger is the leader and leaders stand out.
Isn't that the problem? The Power Rangers are a TEAM. Why is it that the red ranger gets disproportionate attention over the other rangers? Should't they all be equal?

Further, I would say that the Red Ranger "standing out" is artificial. The circular logic is that the red ranger gets more toys made and more stories about him because he is the most popular. However, he is the most popular only because they make more toys of the red ranger and the show makes more story lines to prop up the character so that you will buy the toys. The red ranger popularity, I believe, is more artificial than it is of genuine like of the characters.

If the creators would focus on other rangers, like giving them their own Megazords, you can break the cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoMystechRangger View Post
Get. Out.
I love zords just as much as the next person, but too may of them are just there and serve no purpose. Remember Megaforce?

Can we at least agree that there are too many repaints? I mean a bear, jaguar, and panda all made from the same mold, but with different colors?
Old 05/30/17, 07:36 PM   #13
Digifiend
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimMystechRanger View Post
Now, the happy medium of course is to give all Rangers warrior Zords, which I will advocate for every season forever.
Of course, we had that three years in a row, once. MMPR's Shogun, Super Zeo, and Turbo's Rescue.
Digifiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/17, 07:36 PM   #14
Cestro
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
Of course, we had that three years in a row, once. MMPR's Shogun, Super Zeo, and Turbo's Rescue.
I'm honestly surprised that we haven't had any since Mystic Force.
Old 05/30/17, 07:36 PM   #15
Titanium321
Ranger In Training

Send a message via ICQ to Titanium321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cestro View Post
So why haven't we reached the logical evolution; giving each ranger their own Megazord?
At some point, I suspect we will. It seems like an inevitable step with mecha heavy series. I think the only thing holding it back right now is the size of casts. A small team would be better to do it with and they've been going in the opposite direction with that lately. Not to mention at the heart of it is Toei and Bandai's general unwillingness to market to girls and give girl rangers their due with the toys on the same level as boys. They'll make girl toys, but just to complete sets, never as the main focus, never with special attention. Especially with what sells with the kids in Japan versus the American kids.

It really depends on the current trends the show latches onto. One mecha with changeable parts has been the go to for a while now. It's easier to sell auxiliary zords than extra megazords. If they're cheap remold parts to attach to existing toys too, all the better.

I would love to see everyone end up in their own megazord. Jungle Fury got close but not quite right. Often the problem is just getting a body zord to fill space. Wild Force had so many arms floating around but only three bodies and two legs to use which really held it back.

I think a neat way to approach it would be a megazord configuration for each ranger. Where their zord becomes the body and the others arrange around for the new mode. Sort of how ninninger/Ninja Steel does the first Megazord combo with red and blue changing places making different formations or even better the way Time Force has three different ways to combine their main zords.

A smaller three man team could probably get away with that easier. A Primary Warrior mode for the standard humanoid fighting mecha, a secondary beast mode combo and a third flight form would make the most sense. A Red, Blue, and Yellow form essentially. It doesn't seem that unlikely, but probably will need to wait for the mech toys to pick up popularity over role play items.
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/17, 07:57 PM   #16
Sevenlima
Putty Patroller

Individual Megazords would be too expensive, i think.
Sevenlima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/17, 07:57 PM   #17
Dark storm
Putty Patroller

But it would be worth it if they could all combine into the biggest megazord ever!
Dark storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/17, 07:57 PM   #18
Sevenlima
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark storm View Post
But it would be worth it if they could all combine into the biggest megazord ever!
I can really imagine how would look like.
Sevenlima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/17, 07:57 PM   #19
WhiteMystechRanger
Putty Patroller

I would like to see that.

Wild Force Style would be the best way to do it. That way you have a standard 3 or 5 mech robo for the team, but the Rangers find zords that match their colour and animal/vehicle theme and soon you have 3 or 5 megazords with matching colours/motifs that can mix and match with each other.

Perhaps a bit much, but I prefer that over single use Aux mecha.
WhiteMystechRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/17, 07:57 PM   #20
PrimoMystechRanger
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark storm View Post
PrimoMystechRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply