Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/20/14, 08:23 PM   #1
GokaiPurple
Putty Patroller

Default Dino Thunder. Would it off been better without Tommy?

I think Tommy limited the shows quallity.

He was too boring, fair play, JDF has improved his acting abillitys but i'm afriad the character Tommy will forever be dull and lifless, his arcs went absolutely no where. This isen't just from recent times, he was pretty forgotable when I watched the show back when I was 8. He was just thier, some old teacher who apparently knows all this stuff and build all this stuff.

They could of made the Black Ranger ethier of the following to better effect.

- A rouge, young, idealistic palentolgoist, rebeling aganist tradition. He could be the one who actually knows about dinosuars and LOVES them to the extent he looks down on the others for thier lack of knowledge and is cocky toward them. He would the one to show affection and love for the clearly alive zords. Make him hot headed and brash, a challenge for Conner. Make him unwise in sports so he can friends with Conner later on much later. Make him hate music and have a crush on Kira, no we have an interting triangle bewteen New black ranger and Trent

Link with Zeltrax: They were partners and best friends before Zeltrax "died" in an acident, Zeltrax belives it was caused by.. the black ranger, but it was not.

- The funny guy who knows nothing about dinosaurs, in fact he dislikes them. Now he has an actual arc to go through so he can eventurally love them. His naviety will push the others to learn too so they can teach him, then everyone grows to love him and dinosaurs.He likes to leave the work to the others for the reason he hates them, until his mind changes midway through and he fights with them more.

Link with Zeltrax: something silly, "there can only be room for one black ranger!"

- The ancient warrior who has been trapped in the stone for the last few thousand years, he is freed when the others get thier powers, this guy is smart, competent and puts the safety of all living things before him, a true protector of life and an honurable badass character. He dislikes the three rangers at first because of thier original selfishness towards thier goals. Soon he gets to know them and they grow a respect for each other, he would be older than them so it woulden't be a full blown friendship.

Link with Zeltrax: Zeltrax or his previous form or whatever, impriosned him all thoses years ago when he tried to save a baby Brachiosuar.

As for Tommy and Zeltrax, well that went no where anyway so can ethier be replaced with a similtly lackluster story or left alone. Same with the Tommy building the drones throw away line, went on where and can be replaced with ease. Hayley can be the only mentor with no problem.
GokaiPurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/14, 08:07 AM   #2
MattEmily
Administrator

Default Re: Dino Thunder. Would it off been better without Tommy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GokaiPurple View Post
think Tommy limited the shows quallity.
I completely disagree.

Quote:
He was too boring, fair play, JDF has improved his acting abillitys but i'm afriad the character Tommy will forever be dull and lifless, his arcs went absolutely no where. This isen't just from recent times, he was pretty forgotable when I watched the show back when I was 8. He was just thier, some old teacher who apparently knows all this stuff and build all this stuff.
I completely disagree that he was boring but yes he did play fair. He was mentored by Zordon, a wizard who taught him the right and wrong ways of handling things as a Power Ranger.
I completely disagree with him being dull and lifeless but you are right that his arc didn't really go anywhere but technically he didn't really have much of an arc anyway.
He didn't build everything, Hayley was the one that built the Morphers.
Quote:
They could of made the Black Ranger ethier of the following to better effect.

- A rouge, young, idealistic palentolgoist, rebeling aganist tradition. He could be the one who actually knows about dinosuars and LOVES them to the extent he looks down on the others for thier lack of knowledge and is cocky toward them. He would the one to show affection and love for the clearly alive zords. Make him hot headed and brash, a challenge for Conner. Make him unwise in sports so he can friends with Conner later on much later. Make him hate music and have a crush on Kira, no we have an interting triangle bewteen New black ranger and Trent
No.
Quote:
Link with Zeltrax: They were partners and best friends before Zeltrax "died" in an acident, Zeltrax belives it was caused by.. the black ranger, but it was not.
That would be an interesting plot twist.

Quote:
- The funny guy who knows nothing about dinosaurs, in fact he dislikes them. Now he has an actual arc to go through so he can eventurally love them. His naviety will push the others to learn too so they can teach him, then everyone grows to love him and dinosaurs.He likes to leave the work to the others for the reason he hates them, until his mind changes midway through and he fights with them more.
Absolutely not.
Quote:
Link with Zeltrax: something silly, "there can only be room for one black ranger!"
No.

Quote:
The ancient warrior who has been trapped in the stone for the last few thousand years, he is freed when the others get thier powers, this guy is smart, competent and puts the safety of all living things before him, a true protector of life and an honurable badass character. He dislikes the three rangers at first because of thier original selfishness towards thier goals. Soon he gets to know them and they grow a respect for each other, he would be older than them so it woulden't be a full blown friendship.
Some of that would be interesting but not all of that... but definitely no to the disliking of the Rangers part. Definitely no to the "it wouldn't be a full blown friendship" part.
Quote:
Link with Zeltrax: Zeltrax or his previous form or whatever, impriosned him all thoses years ago when he tried to save a baby Brachiosuar.
That's an interesting idea as well.
Quote:
As for Tommy and Zeltrax, well that went no where anyway so can ethier be replaced with a similtly lackluster story or left alone. Same with the Tommy building the drones throw away line, went on where and can be replaced with ease. Hayley can be the only mentor with no problem.
I wouldn't say it went nowhere, Tommy found out the truth, Zeltrax wanted nothing but revenge so Tommy (along with Kira's aide) put a stop to him by destroying him. Back in the day a human character wouldn't be destroyed if it was under Saban's ownership so there WAS growth there.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/14, 12:02 PM   #3
PRangerX
Administrator

I think they still could have produced a good season. But I loved having Tommy back and think they handled him well. It was a nice treat for the fans. But kids could get into the show without knowing Tommy from MMPR.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/15, 01:50 PM   #4
MattEmily
Administrator

Tommy being in the season was awesome and I agree that kids could have gotten into the show without the kids knowing who he was until the video diary appeared. Granted some people weren't a fan of the diary because they neglected some things but that doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things since everything still happened in the connected universe even if we didn't see it in the diary.
Old 02/18/15, 07:44 PM   #5
No Green Spandex
Power Ranger

DinoThunder would have been better off without Tommy. Tommy was an unneeded albatross and added nothing to the season. It was a cheap nostalgia ploy.

I would have Zeltrax end up being a trapped worrier who gets freed to become Black Ranger. Than there would be a new Zeltrax.
No Green Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/15, 08:16 PM   #6
KimandTommy
Power Ranger

Tommy coming back is what made DT great. The whole thing would have fell apart without him as a part of it. Why would anyone not want him back? It was one of the coolest things Disney did with Power Rangers.
KimandTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/15, 08:21 PM   #7
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Green Spandex View Post
DinoThunder would have been better off without Tommy. Tommy was an unneeded albatross and added nothing to the season. It was a cheap nostalgia ploy.

I would have Zeltrax end up being a trapped worrier who gets freed to become Black Ranger. Than there would be a new Zeltrax.
are you going to bring up your hatred of Tommy in every single post that you make? We get it already you don't like him but you don't have to bring it up in every single post.
Old 02/19/15, 12:25 PM   #8
Captain Codfish
Power Ranger

Honestly, between No Green Spandex, MMPR Forever, and Sentai Is Forever we have some stubborn members.
Captain Codfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/15, 12:39 PM   #9
MattEmily
Administrator

that we do.
Old 02/19/15, 12:45 PM   #10
Phantom Stranger
Ranger In Training

It wouldn't have been the same without Tommy. It was a good season bug on its own but part of the fun was having Tommy back. Dr. Oliver didn't even take over the show. He was naturally part of it.
Phantom Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply