Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion > VR Troopers Online > VR Troopers Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 01/07/11, 07:05 PM   #1
PRangerX
Administrator

Default The use of Japanese Footage in VR Troopers

VR Troopers diffinitly is an example of an American Toku show that used its footage to serve their own story as opposed to writing their story to serve the footage. This was something far more ambitous then what Power Rangers had to deal with. PR just had to worry about adapting the previous Sentai. Which was very doable, since there was a team of five and mecha. VR Troopers had to splice together two series ( a third in the second season) to make it work. Which meant they had to come up with creative reasons for why the Troopers fought separately. It really is almost similar to what Robotech did, only VR is live action. And I don't think they tried to adapt but multiple series at once. Of course that worked against them, since they burned the footage faster. It would have been interesting if they would have used Beetlefighter for a third season instead of doing Big Bad Beetleborgs
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/11, 09:22 PM   #2
Zabitan
Administrator

Yeah that was one of my favorite things about the show is that the more I actually watched the Japanese shows the more I realised that it was actually close to the source material they just found clever ways to do it without having to always use the footage from it.

In fact it seemed like they took a story element from one show, and applied it to footage from the other, or simply took a plot from one show but used a different monster from another episode of that same show.

Like Dark Heart his footage comes from Metalder but his story seems more like that of Dr. Bio from Spielban.

Both are the hero's father who was kidnapped by the evil empire because of his brilliance, and turned into one of it's main minions while his knowledge was used to help the empire.

Then something happens were they stop being a minion, and then the empire just starts using their mind to help the empire, and make monsters.

Then finally the hero is able to restore them, and free them once, and for all.

Then again that's what I would do if I worked on a VRT website.

I would have the character bio, some pictures, say what episode they first showed up in, and the last one all that stuff but in addition to what their footage basis was I would also have a possible story/character basis.
Zabitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply