Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 05/24/20, 09:58 AM   #1
Power Red
Putty Patroller

Default What are your thoughts on Katherine Hillard?

I thought it would be nice to have a thread about Kat. She was always an interesting character to me. She really made season 3 interesting. The spy arch was pretty cool and kept us guessing. Then she became a strong ally to the Rangers. The way she tricked Rita into letting her escape was a cool momment. Its not surprising Kim chose Kat as her replacement. Then we got to see her overcome her fears.

In Zeo she was a very confident Ranger. The way she stood up to that bulldozer monster with a broken ankle was really cool. She was also the one that was able to reach Tommy when he had amnesia.

I know people want Tommy and Kim to be together...But I really liked Tommy and Kat as a couple too.

What do you guys think?
Power Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/20, 09:59 AM   #2
Piccolo Diamond
Putty Patroller

Default Re: What are your thoughts on Katherine Hillard?

Kat was an easy character to route for and well writing. The double agent storyline made season 3 exciting. Kat turned out to be a strong willed Ranger. Even when she was a little scared at first. She was the one that convinced Kimberly to go back to gymnastics by conquering her own fear of diving. Recovering the Pink Power Coin is another example. When she saved Tommy from Gasket she bravely got him to lower his weapon unmorphed.

The only negative I can think of is how they constantly had her get hurt and a few times where she seemed there for Tommy to her hero. But it didn't happen enough to ruin her character.
Piccolo Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/20, 10:01 AM   #3
Maiden Ranger
Putty Patroller

The problem with Kat was after MMPR. In Zeo and Turbo she was too much of a damsel in distress. It was like she was just there to be rescued by Tommy Oliver. Thats why that relationship annoyed me back then. I also thought it was weird she was suddenly into dancing with her past as a swimmer just dropped. In Turbo, she was basically just Justin 's big sister and her substitute teacher role went no where. The idea she could finish high school and go right into teaching was silly. There is so much that they have done better with Kat. Its a shane because her introduction was really awesome.
Maiden Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/20, 10:03 AM   #4
Piccolo Diamond
Putty Patroller

They did plenty with Kat in Zeo. She mentored Tanya when she joined the team. She put her own feelings for Tommy on hold to help him try and win back Heather. She bravely de-morphed in front of the brainwashed Tommy and convinced him the Rangers were his true friends. In Turbo she was the one to convince Jenny to stop acting like a brat.

I don't think its weird that she did Dance in Zeo. She never said she was going back to diving. She just was trying to help Kim not make the same mistake she did. She confronted her own fears to convince Kim she could go back to gymnastics. She didn't need to actually focus on diving. And there is no reason she couldn't have been into dance too. Catherine Sutherland really had a dancing background. Plus the Kat character probably learned ballet to help with her swimming.
Old 05/24/20, 10:51 AM   #5
KimandTommy
Power Ranger

I thought she was a terrible character. A Power Ranger should never be a villain. Plus she took Tommy away from his true love,.Kimberly. The only way to save her character was to have her show her true colors and joined the other villains for good. But they never did that. I never understood how Zordon, Tommy, and the others never realized Kat was evil.

The "Swimming lesson" was just a trick to get Kim to leave so she could have the Pink Power coin and Tommy all to herself
KimandTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/20, 10:52 AM   #6
Kimberly Cares
Ranger In Training

I do wonder why Kim never came back in canon. Zordon mentioned she would be a stronger Ranger by pursuing her dreams in the Pan Am Games.
Kimberly Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/20, 11:28 AM   #7
Piccolo Diamond
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly Cares View Post
I do wonder why Kim never came back in canon. Zordon mentioned she would be a stronger Ranger by pursuing her dreams in the Pan Am Games.
The comics did address this. Its too bad we never saw Kim return on the show though. Not as a Ranger anyway, the Turbo Movie was still a cool appearance. I just wish she interacted with the Rangers more.
Old 05/24/20, 11:29 AM   #8
Power Morphers
Putty Patroller

In Ranger Slayer right?
Power Morphers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/20, 11:30 AM   #9
Piccolo Diamond
Putty Patroller

Not talking about Ranger Slayer. She is an alternate version of Kimberly. The original Kimberly had a small arch in the comics when she returned as Pink Ranger one more time.
Old 05/24/20, 11:35 AM   #10
Overdrive Omega
Comic Relief

I didn't understand why Kat didn't have more of a grudge against Rita?That storyline should have been worked into the end of MMPR.
Overdrive Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply