Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/30/14, 12:03 PM   #1
UncleBob
Putty Patroller

Default (Super) Mega Force: #explanations

thought this would be a fun thread.

As you may have noticed, in Super/Mega Force, stuff just happened and no one knows why. They had powers that were new, "earned" new Zords for menial tasks, I don't even know what the deal was with Robo Knight... and, of course, Jake's black-to-green identity crisis. And why are they pirates?

So, in this thread, I challenge folks to come up with the best-worst explanations for what happened. They can be in-universe or behind-the-scenes things. The only "rule" is that you can't use the sentai to explain things (because, of course, that ruins the fun).

Have something nagging you to death about the series? Post it here and see if someone can explain it to you (Why are they pirates?) in the best way possible.

I'm going to go with a behind-the-scenes explanation as to why Gosei rarely talked. It's a little known fact that Geoff Dolan, the VA for Gosei, felt cheated with his previous works for Power Rangers - so when they decided to bring him back for Gosei, he negotiated the best deal ever - he actually got paid by the letter for every line he read as Gosei. Thus, to minimize costs so they could save their budget for the amazing Legendary Battle, they resorted to having Geoff only read a few grunt-like sounds that they then ran through a "robot voice translator" and pieced them together to form a limited vocabulary that they could work with when writing the script. You know those magnet kits of words that people have on their refrigerators? It was like that in the writing room.

"Okay, so the Rangers need help - let's have Goesi offer them sage words of wisdom. What do we have to work with?"

"We're out of word, sir. We've gone through them all in every possible combination."

"Okay, just cut to a dramatic shot of Gosei's face and we just won't have him say anything. I mean, really - it's not a fight scene, so it's not like the kids are paying attention at this point anyway."
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/14, 02:34 PM   #2
MattEmily
Administrator

Default Re: (Super) Mega Force: #explanations

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
thought this would be a fun thread.
Indeed this is an interesting thread that you came up with.

Quote:
As you may have noticed, in Super/Mega Force, stuff just happened and no one knows why. They had powers that were new, "earned" new Zords for menial tasks, I don't even know what the deal was with Robo Knight... and, of course, Jake's black-to-green identity crisis. And why are they pirates? So, in this thread, I challenge folks to come up with the best-worst explanations for what happened. They can be in-universe or behind-the-scenes things. The only "rule" is that you can't use the sentai to explain things (because, of course, that ruins the fun).
That is an interesting idea.

Quote:
Have something nagging you to death about the series? Post it here and see if someone can explain it to you (Why are they pirates?) in the best way possible.
That's interesting as well.

Quote:
I'm going to go with a behind-the-scenes explanation as to why Gosei rarely talked. It's a little known fact that Geoff Dolan, the VA for Gosei, felt cheated with his previous works for Power Rangers - so when they decided to bring him back for Gosei, he negotiated the best deal ever - he actually got paid by the letter for every line he read as Gosei. Thus, to minimize costs so they could save their budget for the amazing Legendary Battle, they resorted to having Geoff only read a few grunt-like sounds that they then ran through a "robot voice translator" and pieced them together to form a limited vocabulary that they could work with when writing the script. You know those magnet kits of words that people have on their refrigerators? It was like that in the writing room.

"Okay, so the Rangers need help - let's have Goesi offer them sage words of wisdom. What do we have to work with?"

"We're out of word, sir. We've gone through them all in every possible combination."

"Okay, just cut to a dramatic shot of Gosei's face and we just won't have him say anything. I mean, really - it's not a fight scene, so it's not like the kids are paying attention at this point anyway."
That is an interesting idea but it wouldn't make sense at all in terms of a contract.

Now here is what I'm going to go with for each issue.

Why do they have Pirate-themed suits and arsenal? Because years ago the Morphin' Masters had created the powers and had tapped them with the special ability to pirate each Ranger signature that has been tapped into the grid over the years. During this time they didn't have Black Rangers because there was controversy surrounding such a color.

Why didn't Gosei talk more?
Because his Mentor was Zordon and while Zordon was able to assist with the army Gosei himself wasn't since he wasn't as familiar with Mavro and his army as Zordon was with Dark Specter's forces so Gosei couldn't provide any support except for supplying new toys and therefore just did exactly that and nothing more.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/14, 02:38 PM   #3
Zabitan
Administrator

Troy is a stoner.

He took some bad acid just before regular Megaforce started, and Super Megaforce ends just before we see him wake up naked next to the dumpster behind McDonald's eating a half eaten Happy Meal.
Zabitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/14, 09:12 PM   #4
MattEmily
Administrator

LOL that's funny.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply