Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 10/28/14, 05:09 PM   #1
Honest Heart 17
Shadow Ranger

Default Denji Sentai Megaranger Review

Default Denji Sentai Megaranger Review
WARNING! CONTAINS SPOILERS

Before I get into what I liked and disliked about this series, I will say that overall, Megaranger is a solid sentai. While it today it's story telling techniques and plot lines might seem either familiar, during it's run it was quite revolutionary in Sentai. There seemed to be more focus set on the characters more than just "Monster of the week is wreaking havoc!" The show still has those episodes, there's not as many as there were before it.

What I liked about it:

The Rangers: One of the best aspects of the show in my opinion. All the Megarangers are interesting and actually have some semblance of a personality, even if it isn't too much. Kenta is a lazy student with a hot head but a good heart and good leader skills (mainly when they're Megarangers). Koichirou is the serious, ideal student and official leader of the team. Shun is the official snarker and graphic designer. Chisato is a photographer and a singer (although this is only shown in one episode) and Miku is the adorable genki type girl who loves food.

Sure the Rangers are still pretty flat but hey it's Sentai. Character development isn't exactly it's strong point. Another thing I do like is that all the rangers work as a team. All of them work together and one doesn't out shine another too often. Speaking of which

The Show Isn't About "Denji Sentai Mega Red and Others": One aspect that turns me off a sentai show is when it's all about the Red Ranger. Sure, the Red Ranger is technically the Leader/Main Character of the team and he usually get's all the badass upgrades, but when you make a sentai show it kind of defeats the purpose of having a team. Why not just have a singular hero similar to the early Kamen Riders if you're going to do that!

Thankfully this show doesn't do that. Each Megaranger get's their time to shine in various episodes. The ones I remember the most were the Female Ranger centric episodes, Mega Yellow and Mega Pinks. One of my favorite episodes is Episode 7. where Chisato tries to get an obessed girl off Koichiro and Chisato takes out a monster of the week all by her self! Which leads into...

The Female Rangers are Awesome: Chisato and Miku can kick ass! As I have said before, one of my favorite episodes of the show is Episode 7 where Chisato turns into a total badass and mows down the Monster of the week. Another one I enjoyed is Episode 29 where the PigNejira is just thrown around by by Miku who takes Kenta's Battle Rizer and uses it's special features.

It's honestly refreshing to see Female Sentai Rangers that aren't just something for the male rangers to save half the time.

The Theme: The Ranger motif for this series is technology. Each Ranger derives there power from a certain piece of technology. Kenta's powers are of a PC. Koichiero is as satellite. Shun's is a TV. Chisato's is a camera and Miku's is a cell phone. All of them have unique abilities of there own too, which I wished that they used more often.

The Fighting: I can't exactly say how well produced the fights themselves were since I'm not an expert on that, but I can say that they were for the most part entertaining and kept my interest.

On to the things I didn't like:

The Ranger's Parent's/family: This is my biggest gripe about the show. I honestly wished they showed and told us more about the Megarangers parents/family. I mean we did get a few episodes where we daw Kenta's mom, Chisato's grandmother, and Koichiro's younger brother, but other than one or two episodes with them they were just brushed off to the side. Well I mean at lest we got to see there family. We didn't get to see Miku or Shun's, just them mentioning them. This would have made the show much, much better. It would have interesting to see the rangers interacting with there parents and how they try and hide their identities from them, but nope. We barely ever hear a word about them.

he Main Villains Dr. Heinlier is honestly quite boring. He's just your stereotypical mad scientist with super powers who wants to rule the world. Nothing really exciting other than the fact that he was Kubota's friend and fellow colleague and that Shiborina was his daughter whom he rebuilt as an android, but that's not revealed until the last episode. Shiborina and Yugande are a little bit more interesting, but not by much. They mostly just follow Dr. Heinlier's and not much else. There was another big name villain that came named Griell a commander who takes Dr. Heinilers place in taking of Earth, but he had very little impact on the story other than introducing MegaVoyager. The only villains I truly liked were the nejirangers, who posed a REAL threat to the Mega Rangers and who's suits are some of the most badass suits in Sentai.

The Mech Fighting: I've never been a huge fan of the Mech fighting in Sentai. Unless there plot related I usually dont pay attention to them and this show is no exception.

Mega Silver: Mega Silver is in all honesty a disappointment. After his debut and after he fixes the 2.5 min mode on his keitizer, he rarely shows up. Hell, there were times I FORGOT he existed. I get the writers wanted to focus on the main 5, which is great but when there's another character you introduce who's part of the team, you might want to put him in more than just maybe a couple of episodes. His debut may be the longest in sentai so far. 25 episodes we had to wait for him to even appear.

Even with it's glaring flaws, I still enjoyed Megaranger a lot. If you wanna check out a 90's sentai and don't know where to start, Megaranger is a good choice.

My first real review of a show. What do you guys think? Is it good, bad, the worst ever? Please let me know, I want to try and improve upon my writing skills ^^.
Old 11/07/14, 10:10 PM   #2
mbozzo
Power Ranger

Default Re: Denji Sentai Megaranger Review

I haven't watch Megarangers, but I did watch the American version, Power Rangers In Space.
mbozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply