Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/17/16, 10:53 AM   #1
MattEmily
Administrator

Default End of Extinction Episode Discussion

Here's the discussion thread for this Saturday's new episode.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/16, 01:31 PM   #2
Titanium321
Ranger In Training

Send a message via ICQ to Titanium321
Default Re: End of Extinction Episode Discussion

Selling the planet for scrap, is a rather practical bad guy plan in the end. That's a though through villain scheme. "I wanna conquer! I wanna destroy" methods have no end game, Sledge at least has a long term plan.

Are they going to use the Spirit Bomb?

A black hole is a new way to dispose of the bad guy. It leaves a sci fi opening for a team up if they even do that again, though.

Oh man, we've seen the Earth conquered and attacked in bad future's before, but eaten by a Black Hole? That's a new one for PR.

Last episode surprise exposition is going to cost some points.

Time travel is the ultimate power? That's not even that unique of a power. You can get that far easier in the PRU, seems like a cheap ultimate power. Omniscient Reality Controlling Godhood, that's the kind of power I expected.

Still a little bummed the plan wasn't just to let Heckyl use the Dark Energem as a charger. Could easily claim he's immune to it now and have him morph to use the power to break Sledge's ship. A little weak explanation to get to the time travel deus ex machina.

Nice original fight footage for a last Sledge fight. Sledge's "hey how did you know?" was pretty good, too.

So wait, if they blew up Sledge and his forces in the sun, including the meteors. Does that mean the Dinosaurs don't die?

Ivan and Koda go home? Really thought they'd turn that down. James doesn't get to go redo the missing 20 years though? Deadbeat dad.

So, wait, Heckyl should be dead because of what they just did to Sledge's ship. Xenowing should be in space somewhere fighting Arcanon. I guess going back further fixes that for them. But what happens to Xenowing? Heckyl's a Keeper now, does Xenowing just go back to being random heroic alien warrior?

Shelby acknowledging calling Kendall, Kendall is weird. I laughed.

Dino Zoo? Whaaa. They broke time. So either DC is going to be its own universe from here on out, or the Christmas special fixes everything.

What happens when Ivan and Koda go home and find dinosaurs trashing their homes? Doesn't this mean Arcanon is still out there? If Heckyl is keeping the Dark Energem now, doesn't that mean they don't break it and the time travel power is undone? For such a good season the writing sorta of crapped out in the end.

As far as endings go, this was a little crammed feeling. Too much at once. The time travel should have been cut and they should have been able to use the Energems to close the black hole instead. Use the remaining time to wrap up and send off the characters.

It was a fun ride and a great cast and writing for a series overall, even if the ending crapped out a bit.

I'm going to freak out if Ninja Steel opens with a throwaway line about dino zoos though.
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/16, 01:33 PM   #3
MegaBlue
Putty Patroller

The whole "go back in time to stop Sledge" thing, in theory, was a decent plot scenario. However, having the heroes destroy the planet, pull a deus ex machina with the magical time-portal-inducing Energems, and return the Earth to the age of the dinosaurs - while it's still 2016 and all of the evolutionary things that normally happened did, mind you - was a very poor execution. Yes, we got the makings of a decent battle with Sledge, but everything seemed to be a case of "How many pages do we have left? And, how many things do we need to do? SIMPLE FIX, SIMPLE FIX, SIMPLE FIX, GO!"

This is like taking "The End of Time" and cramming it all into a 20-minute timeframe: Base destruction (again), huge major Earth-shattering plot point, major end-all battle with the lead villain, peaceful resolution... And, what's the payoff here? The Rangers now have to clean up after a triceratops with indigestion.

Unless I'm already having "nostalgia goggles," it really does seem like SuperC was the poorer of the two halves of the series. I'll have to revisit Dino Charge proper to make sure, but it really did seem like it was the better half. So, what went wrong this time? Writing bullpen shakeup? Network exec interference? Will we ever really know?

Coming out of this, I really want to have high hopes for Ninja Steel. DC did start off really nicely (again, unless I'm remembering things incorrectly), and so did SuperC, but, after a few episodes of SuperC, things really took a nosedive. If things stay the same, should we have high hopes for the future of the series?
MegaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/16, 01:36 PM   #4
Massive Ego
Power Ranger

The time travel stuff was ridiculous. Franchise destroying level bad. I told you guys Dino Charge sucked.
Massive Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/16, 01:37 PM   #5
Titanium321
Ranger In Training

Send a message via ICQ to Titanium321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive Ego View Post
The time travel stuff was ridiculous. Franchise destroying level bad. I told you guys Dino Charge sucked.
I don't think the ending was really that bad. A little rushed and illogical time travelling, but it's not "Franchise ending disaster" by any means. Maybe a low note for a great season to end on, but not a season ruining ending. Just sub par compared to the rest of it.

Which, honestly, is how most PR seasons en
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/16, 01:38 PM   #6
Sledge's Bounty
Comic Relief

Its obviously an AU. So I don't mind the ending at all.
Sledge's Bounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/16, 01:40 PM   #7
MegaBlue
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge's Bounty View Post
Its obviously an AU. So I don't mind the ending at all.
Is this going to be the solution to everything now? "It's in an alternate universe." I'm still of the mindset that RPM is sitting comfortably somewhere in the future - and, there's enough of a timeline gap ALREADY ESTABLISHED IN THE PRU that supports it - where it doesn't mess with anything that's already happened. Why couldn't it happen somewhere in the 2800s and lead up to the vast wasteland that exists in which Ransik creates the Mut-Orgs in the 2900s before the leadup to Time Force in the year 3000? (Although, the consequence of a few very self-centered groups of citizens completely ignoring the Venjix takeover throughout Mystic Force through Jungle Fury that leads up to RPM happening actually IN 2009 is very funny to think about.)

This would, truly, be the only season that doesn't fit anywhere, unless you stick it even further into the future. The 2600s, perhaps? It'd need to be before the Venjix takeover, after the latest time in SPD (2135), and before Ransik creates the Mut-Orgs in the 2900s. We can likely rule out a crossover with the Ninja Steel kids, so there's no need to keep it in 2015/2016 (if they even stated a year). Instead of parallel dimensions being our go-to answer for things, why not muck up the future? The franchise won't last the next 500-700 years, so who's going to know?
MegaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/16, 01:42 PM   #8
PRdude
Ranger In Training

If Sledge, Poisandra, Wrench, and the Viviks are gone, then Lord Arcanon could still be around.

Also, no Ninja Steel promo.
PRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/16, 01:44 PM   #9
Usagi Reborn
Power Ranger

Wow what a disapointing finalie to what has been a great season. So disapointed, this one os going to take a while to sink in.
Usagi Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/16, 01:45 PM   #10
White Tiger Fan
Power Ranger

They tried to get too cute. Amit wasn't around to make sure things were done the right way.
White Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply