Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/18/14, 11:32 AM   #1
HydroFlyer2.0
Putty Patroller

Default Could they have made Time Green a female instead of Time Yellow?

I want to preface this with saying that I simply love Time Force for what it was, and I was practically obsessed with it during its initial airing at the age of 10, so this isn't something I've ever really considered nor would I *really* want to lose Trip and Katie as characters.

However, through my rewatching of the series since the arrival of my legacy collection, I realized that the rangers that were gender swapped were normally the ones who were a bit scrawnier in stature, such as Ginga Yellow and Go Yellow. I feel as though these were believable switches for gender swapping for the most part, and it honestly works decently with the footage.

Now, when Timeranger rolls around, I feel as though the footage dictates that the yellow ranger is indeed a male not only through his physical strength, but also through the general demeanor of the character. So, I started to think, do you think the green ranger would have been a better choice to gender swap for footage's sake?

Rewatching Time Force, I feel like it would have been a great opportunity to do something different without being too drastic. It would have only been the second male yellow ranger in the show's history (first full time), but it would have been the show's first (and currently only) female green ranger. I understand the choices they made with the footage, but I can't help but think that it was an interesting opportunity that was glossed over simply because yellow had become a "female" color at that time.

I feel like if they had gone with a female green ranger, the main attributes that made up Trip wouldn't have to be completely lost either. A female Xybrian with green hair, a gem, and maybe a bit geeky (similar to Kendrix) with Circuit. On the flip side, what is there really to lose by making Katie a male? He would reinforce a gender role of men = strong, but what else? He misses his family, and then he goes back in time to help the ghost of the Clock Tower be happy? I don't feel like much is really lost there.
HydroFlyer2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/14, 05:32 PM   #2
MattEmily
Administrator

Default Re: Could they have made Time Green a female instead of Time Yellow?

Not at all since I think it worked out fine. Remember that Katie may not be bulky in weight or muscles but she was given super strength as part of the futuristic birthing process.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/17, 10:22 AM   #3
MattEmily
Administrator

Default Re: Could they have made Time Green a female instead of Time Yellow?

Quote:
He would reinforce a gender role of men = strong, but what else? He misses his family, and then he goes back in time to help the ghost of the Clock Tower be happy? I don't feel like much is really lost there.
plus that kind of thinking is what's wrong with the world today. Women can be just as strong as any men can be.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply