Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/03/14, 05:40 PM   #1
DoctorKosmic
Putty Patroller

Default Does anyone else consider Megaforce out of continuity?

I've been thinking about this, and I feel like the Neo-Saban seasons are in a separate (yet vaguely analogous) universe or continuity from the rest of PR. The sheer amount of continuity errors make me feel like it's better off just sectioning off in it's own little universe.

If Dino Charge, and future seasons ever reference the past in any way, would you prefer that I've been thinking about this, and I feel like the Neo-Saban seasons are in a separate (yet vaguely analogous) universe or continuity from the rest of PR. The sheer amount of continuity errors make me feel like it's better off just sectioning off in it's own little universe.

If Dino Charge, and future seasons ever reference the past in any way, would you prefer that they pretend Super Megaforce never happened? pretend Super Megaforce never happened?
DoctorKosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/14, 05:41 PM   #2
BananaRama
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Does anyone else consider Megaforce out of continuity?

Power Rangers has never been a stickler for continuity post-Lost Galaxy. It's been pretty fast and lose with continuity since 2000. I don't know why people think Super Megaforce is special.
BananaRama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/14, 05:42 PM   #3
DoctorKosmic
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Does anyone else consider Megaforce out of continuity?

I think for me, it's more the fact that we have weird stuff like wherever the hell Samurai takes place. Some weird hybrid of Japan (Sentai footage aside), New Zealand, and America, which is still apparently close enough to Harwood County that Ji and Jayden can get there on their motorcycles. Lobotomy Bulk. Rich Skull. The entire mess that was Super Megaforce, including the whole "New Powers" thing.

It just seems like there was such a blatant disregard of continuity that it doesn't feel like the same universe. And considering they established RPM being a different dimension from Samurai & Megaforce, that can easily mean that RPM takes place in the main PRU, while Samurai and Megaforce are separate.

I dunno. Maybe it's just my overly critical fan brain. It just feels like these last couple of seasons have gone out of their way to somehow be a fresh start, while also trying to jump on the nostalgia wagon, leading to very bizarre disjointed seasons.
Old 12/03/14, 05:45 PM   #4
BananaRama
Putty Patroller

Default re megaforce remove continity

[QUOTE=BananaRama;1239026]The show has been a weird hybrid of America and New Zealand since Ninja Storm. I'm not even sure what vague location has to do with continuity.

So, California, probably.

He acts no different than he has in the past.

We haven't Skull in 10 years, he could have won the lottery or married into wealth.

Which doesn't make it out of continuity. Just a misguided choice. And the show did treat them as new powers, not powers that always existed.

Like when Jason had a working tyrannosaur coin, when Rita aged like 30 years between In Space and Mystic Force, when Adam used the Black MMPR powers instead of the Green Zeo powers, when Tommy forgot he had Zeo powers, when Rita and Zedd, who married in 1995, had a son who was imprisoned for thousands of years, like when an old lady claimed there was no such thing as monsters, when Tori and Shane claimed Power Rangers aren't real. Thar sort of thing?

Considering the RPM season featured no other Rangers, I'd say the obvious answer is the exact opposite.

Plus RPM being in continuity would imply that all the Rangers before RPM, excluding the SPD Rangers, and Jen, Trip, Lucas, and Katie were killed off-screen, no thanks. Plus didn't Jen think "hey that guy I'm in love with is, is going to die with most of the rest of the world in the not too distant future...of his present"? RPM is the most self-contained season ever.

Your critical fan brain is conveniently ignoring like all the continuity snarls the series has done in the last 10 years.
Old 12/03/14, 05:46 PM   #5
DoctorKosmic
Putty Patroller

Default Re: re megaforce remove continity

Nah, I still find those things mildly stupid, but they're easily explained, and they've been discussed to death over the years, with enough accumulated fanon where it doesn't seem much of a problem.

I suppose at the core of it, Samurai and Megaforce are just incredibly awful seasons. It really comes down to taste. I know I haven't got much of a leg to stand on. I suppose at the end of the day, it's just comfortable head canon that allows me to ignore the dreck.
Old 12/03/14, 05:47 PM   #6
BananaRama
Putty Patroller

You can easily explain most of the continuity snarls of Samurai-Super Megaforce with fanon too.

IF we're declaring awful seasons out of continuity than I declare Zeo, first half Turbo, Lost Galaxy, Wild Force, and Operation Overdrive out of continuity.
Old 12/03/14, 05:48 PM   #7
DoctorKosmic
Putty Patroller

I suppose I worded it badly. It's not so much that it's out of continuity as such, just that I imagine there's a variety of alternate universes. And the thing is, the series has been awful enough that nobody has felt inspired to even come up with fanon to explain these things. I just see people wishing it never happened.
Old 12/03/14, 05:49 PM   #8
Antiyonder
Putty Patroller

Ironically enough, I think part of why Samurai felt like it was trying to be a fresh start is that some of the staff had little to no regard for the Disney Seasons and at most wanted them declared non-canon or have nothing to do with them.

Hence, if there is another anniversary commemoration, I'd rather than any creative team just makes a solid effort to respect the franchise history and not snub something just because they don't like it (i.e. be professionals).
Antiyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/14, 05:50 PM   #9
DoctorKosmic
Putty Patroller

It's like they were trying to have their cake and eat it too. They tried to do a fresh start, but then they just jammed Bulk in there for no reason. Tzachor seemed to be overruled immediately about each season existing in it's own continuity (which in hindsight probably wasn't a bad idea, considering the quality..) yet it almost seemed like he still tried to enforce it in a way.
Old 12/03/14, 05:51 PM   #10
Antiyonder
Putty Patroller

^^^Honestly is there really any sign that Tzachor wanted a complete continuity sweep? Last I heard it's just the Non-Saban stuff he wanted to remove. Hence the number of Pre-Disney cast members we had back, plus half the Samurai cast and Mentor Ji. Heck, even Kevin, Mia and Antonio appeared in SMF through archive footage.
Antiyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply